Our Mission is You.
A Better Way of Living.
Duncaster is a boutique continuing care retirement community. It offers both a LifeCare (long term care insurance benefit) residency option as well as a Fee for Service (self-insure) option. Its mission is to offer an engaging independent lifestyle to senior adults through excellence in living, life enhancement events and person-centered service.
Duncaster has pledged to provide equal access and opportunity to all adults age 62+ without regard to race, color, religion, sex, familial status, disability or national origin.
Duncaster operates as a not-for-profit, non-sectarian, charitable and educational organization of high professional standards.
Duncaster: A Community of Self Governance
You Have a Voice in How You Live. That’s Our Promise to You.
Duncaster was founded in 1984 by a group of area leaders who wanted the security of a LifeCare community, and a voice in that community’s operation and future. This philosophy of self-governance is one of the main differences between Duncaster and many other communities.
In fact, three residents sit on the board of directors and serve on the finance, healthcare, dining and operational committees. There are also 34 resident committees that influence everything from the educational programs to policy.
Serving the Community We Live in Makes Life Better For All.
Duncaster is a not-for-profit community, founded in 1984 as the Hartford region’s first Life Plan Community, (or CCRC). Duncaster has a strong commitment to making the greater community a better place to live. Residents and staff give their time and support to community service projects.
Duncaster is governed by a Board of Directors. In addition to serving as one of the town’s major employers, Duncaster is committed to being socially accountable. As a result, Duncaster’s Community Outreach Committee oversees contributions sometimes totaling $50,000 annually to area organizations, such as:
- Bloomfield Department of Social and Youth ServicesUniversity of Hartford
- Flu Clinic
- Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore
- Concerts on the Green
- Duncaster residents are involved with Bloomfield Schools through such projects as:
- Music program and WWII history projects
- Tutoring at Metacomet Elementary SchoolFinancial support to begin a golf team for Bloomfield schools
- Donating to the Bloomfield Education Foundation
- On a more global level, Duncaster is an active green community. Efforts have included:
- Cutting energy usage, resulting in being honored by the United States’ Energy Star Award
- Cogenerating energy to produce 40 percent of the community’s energy needs
- Incorporating hybrid vehicles into Duncaster’s transportation service
Duncaster regularly opens its doors to provide services and information to those in the area. Among these efforts are:
- Free public educational presentations on topics such as long term care insurance, driving and aging, sexuality and aging and knee and joint concerns Access to Duncaster’s Aquatics & Fitness Center
- Use of community space for area non-profit organizations’ meetings
Access to Hartford Hospital Senior Primary Care at Duncaster, Accreditation
We’re on the A list.
High-quality care backed by the best.
Duncaster is accredited by the Continuing Care Accreditation Commission CARF-CCAC), the nation’s most respected accrediting body for Life Plan Communities, also known as Continuing Care Retirement Communities.
Duncaster has a collaborative agreement with Hartford Hospital, giving residents access to high-quality, geriatric primary care, physicians and other healthcare providers.Meet the Duncaster Board.